“KITE”: On Crossing and Choreographing ‘Min Bridges’

The old railway in HaMaXing Is the perfect place for flying a kite As breeze plays in the air The kite flies in the sky The kite flies among the trees The kite flies into every kid’s laughter The kite flies back to Dad’s childhood time   A time when  Grandpa worked and went fishing  Like a kite that flew and flew  All the way to the faraway seas  The kite’s string – Tied tightly around Grandma’s heart Held firmly between Dad’s hands – Supports…

Gathering Taiwanese American Writers at AWP 2024: “I wish I had this community growing up.”

On Lunar New Year’s eve, we again gathered an expanding cohort of Taiwanese American changemakers in the literary world who’d convened in Kansas City for the Association of Writers & Writing Programs Conference (AWP). Our Year of the Dragon dinner was hosted at Chewology, led by recently James Beard semifinalist nominated-chef Katie Liu-Sung. We were touched by Katie's vision to bring Taiwan to Kansas City, where there are relatively fewer Asian Americans compared to coastal enclaves.…

How bilingual author Christina Wu is raising the next generation of Taiwanese Americans

"Raising the Next Generation" aims to feature and connect stories of Taiwanese American parenthood, caretaking, and community-building across generations. We want to hear from our community on the unique challenges they navigate, the resources and tools they can share with each other, and the triumphs they want to celebrate with us all. We want to showcase and serve how Taiwanese American families are increasingly complex and diverse. They may include transcontinental relationships, intercultural…

Wendy Cheng’s “ISLAND X” is essential reading for Taiwanese Americans

As editor-in-chief of TaiwaneseAmerican.org, I try to adhere to a level of curatorial prudence and precision of language -- because not every great book must be essential -- but I truly believe that Wendy Cheng's Island X is essential reading for Taiwanese Americans. It is an unprecedented origin story of Taiwanese Americans, lyrically charting not only where we come from but, crucially, why it matters.  In the final chapter, Becoming Taiwanese American, Cheng notes that her book captures…

Vanessa Hope’s INVISIBLE NATION: “China does not want the world to know our story.”

Vanessa Hope's "Invisible Nation" offers an affecting portrait of Taiwan through an impressive lineup of interviews, not just with President Tsai Ing-wen, though she's the most prominently featured, but with an array of historians, activists, academics, and politicians, thoughtfully interspersed with archive footage. Together, they offer a comprehensive narrative about Taiwan's many paradoxes: being globally influential but systematically excluded, existing in de facto independence but threatened…

“Not in Our Name” – Understanding the Jewish Struggle for Palestine from a Taiwanese American Perspective

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="990"] Ten thousand gather in DC with Jewish Voice for Peace and If Not Now to Demand Gaza Ceasefire Wednesday October 18, 2023 (Photo from Jewish Voice for Peace Twitter)[/caption] “If they hadn’t taken us, where would we have gone?” I've heard this question, once posed by my uncle in Taiwan, echoed countless times by Jewish and Israeli friends over the years. “Where would we have gone?” “Who would have taken us?” In the wake of World…

Shop Your Community: Mid-Autumn Festival Gift Guide

With Mid-Autumn Festival 中秋節 coming up next month, we had some fun putting together a gift guide from our community!⁠ 01 / "The Shadow in the Moon" by Christina Matula, illustrated by Pearl Law Two sisters and their grandmother celebrate a popular Chinese holiday with family. Their favorite part? Mooncakes, of course--along with Ah-ma's story of the ancient Chinese tale of Hou Yi, a brave young archer, and his wife, Chang'E. A long, long time ago, Hou Yi rescued the earth…

How she built this: sophomore Taliyah Huang invents a Taiwanese-English translation tool to bridge language gaps

Taiwanese American Taliyah Huang is an engineering student who has built a suite of programs, including BobaWay, a web-based Taiwanese translator. We were excited to interview her about the project and her broader passions.  Hi Taliyah! Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?  My name is Taliyah Huang, and I am a sophomore student studying biomedical engineering at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. My parents immigrated from Taiwan, but I was born and raised in…

New on TaiwanPlus: “Kitchen Remix” presents Taiwanese Food… With a Twist

Two Taiwanese Americans. 20+ recipes. Taiwanese food as never seen before. In a small kitchen in Taipei, Clarissa Wei and Brandon O’Neal set out to tell the tale of Taiwanese dishes. Equipped with extensive knowledge of culinary history, personal memories of each dish and a deep love for the flavors of Taiwan, the two Taiwanese American chefs are giving global audiences a whole new way to understand Taiwanese food. The format of “Kitchen Remix” is fairly simple: Clarissa leads the…

How Dragon Boat Festival zongzi are my mom’s love language

For as long as I can remember, the scent of steaming Taiwanese zongzi (or bahtzang, in Taigi) filled my childhood home the weekend ahead of the Dragon Boat Festival day. Before the convenience of Asian grocery chains having a prepared foods section, the memory of my mom sitting on a low plastic stool in the kitchen making zongzi comes to mind. The warmth from the gas stove mixed with boiling pots of zongzi cooking on all four burners signaled to me the start of summer. Zongzi production is…