The Formosa Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2010 Ambassador Program. The 2010 Program will take place in Washington D.C. June 14- 25, 2010. Applications are due March 15, 2010.
Founded in 2001, the Formosa Foundation dedicates itself to the advancement of human rights, democracy, and the right to self-determination of Taiwan. They are a non-profit entity based in Los Angeles, California, committed to fostering better understanding and exchange of ideas between the United States and Taiwan through sustained educational and advocacy efforts.
The Formosa Foundation offers three factors critical to social movements: political opportunity, organizational capacity and framing ability. Through its Ambassador Program the Foundation offers the best hands-on training for students to develop grassroots and campaign skills and to become leaders. The Ambassador Program uses U.S. foreign policies on Taiwan and China as case studies to provide participants with opportunities to:
- Understand the intricacies of US foreign policy making and its impact;
- Gain insight from experienced professionals on the art of advocacy;
- Acquire skills to effectively present views to policy makers, media and the public.
The Program is designed primarily for recent college graduate or current college and/or graduate students who support the advancement of human rights, democracy and the right of self-determination for the people of Taiwan. Selection criteria includes academic achievements, extracurricular activities, participation in community affairs, and interest in promoting the U.S.-Taiwan relationship.
Up to 30 applicants will be selected for the 2010 Program, including up to 7 to be recruited from Taiwan. Applicant can be US citizens, permanent residents, or Taiwanese national.
- Application Form (Applicants who are Taiwan nationals and currently study/reside in Taiwan, use this Form.)
- 500-word Personal Statement
- Copy of most recent Transcript
- Two Letters of Recommendation
Applications must be received by March 15, 2010.
For more information, visit www.formosafoundation.org